in Western Australia under licence to Ruston-Hornsby UK in 1943
engine was made in Australia during World War 2. The licensing company, Ruston
& Hornsby, was a very significant UK manufacturer.The engine was designed for Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, Lincoln, UK.
Harris Scarfe and Sandovers was established by merger of Harris Scarfe Ltd and
Sandovers Ltd in Perth in 1923. During WW2, it switched from importing Ruston
Hornsby engines from the UK to making them in Perth.The castings were made at the Perth foundry of Ledger Engineering.
single cylinder petrol engine, water cooled by hopper.It is a 3 hp engine, type 3PB, with magneto, enclosed crankcase, two
flywheels and a drivewheel.The maker's
plate bears the following inscription: BHP. 3 TYPE 3.P.B. / REVS. PER. MIN.
600/700 / MANUFACTURED BY / HARRIS SCARFE & SANDOVERS LTD / PERTH WEST
AUSTRALIA / BY ARRANGEMENT WITH / RUSTON & HORNSBY LTD LINCOLN ENGLAND. The
plate is stamped with various government acceptance marks.